The Gateway Community Tennis Association met in a regularly scheduled meeting. The meeting came to order at 6:00 p.m. at the Economic Development Department Conference Room.
Call to Order: Glenn Hunter, Mike Null, Joe Hinkle, Nelson Rivera, Pierce Kelley, and two (2) members of the Columbia County Tourist Development Board Brian Bickel and Mike Collins.
Planning Committee Members Not Present: Steve Jones, Tom Moore, John Lear, Dolly Robinson, Wendell Johnson, James Montgomery, and all persons listed above.
New Business: Planning committee met for 1.5 hours with the main focus to establish the Gateway Community Tennis Association. Secondly, to begin the work to determine the need and ability to serve the local community, as well as to attract out of town tournaments to drive the local economy. Nelson Rivera agreed to look into the tournaments from a revenue generator standpoint.
The following topics were discussed:
- Mike Null volunteered to research a Facebook page
- Glenn Hunter will provide a visual sketch/diagram of the desired facility
- Pierce Kelley will look at securing the 501(c)(3) status
- Tom Moore will arrange a speaker from Gainesville to discuss how to form a community tennis association.
- John Lear agreed to search for persons in Columbia county and surrounding counties who are tennis enthusiasts who will likely support the efforts to bring a first class tennis facility to Columbia county. A list will be compiled.
- John Lear will also bring a speaker to address securing tournaments.
- All assigned projects listed above will be provide a progress report
- Discuss the USTA’s response to our initial inquiry
- Identify potential women members and expand as working groups
This group will meet again on December 8, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. at the Economic Development Department Conference Room.